Dr. Hampa Nagarajaiah
Dr. Hampa Nagarajaiah was born October, 7, 1936 at Hampasandra Village in the Kolar District of Karnataka. Dr. Hampa has excelled in the academics and one of the foremost exponents of Jainism
A first class M.A. Graduate from Mysore University , Dr. Hampa acquired his Ph.D from the Bangalore University. He has been a teaching Under-Gradutates and Post-Graduate students for the last four decades, while actively participating in research and directing and supervising M.Phil and Ph.D students.
Dr. Hampa has acquired the broad outlook of a widely travelled personage, having been an honoured guest where he shared his expertise, at a number of Universities, like
Bonn University, Germany
Budapest University of Economics, Budapest, Hungary
California University, U.S.A.
Cambridge University, U.K.
Central European University, Budapest, Hungary
Chicago University, U.S.A.
Davis University, U.S.A.
Dijoun University, France
Durham University, Great Briton
E o; tv o Lorand University Budapest, Hungary
London University, U.K.
Los Angeles University, U.S.A.
Leoben University, Austria
Macmaster University, Canada
Manchester University, U.K.
Newyork University, U.S.A.
Oxford University, U.K.
SORRBONN University, Paris, Italy
Sunbder Land University, North England
Toronto University, Canada
University of Kliniken., Innsbruck, Austria
Vatican University, Rome, Italy
Washington University, U.S.A.
Dr. Hampa has also had the distinction of receiving citations and medals in recognition of his service and achievements :
i.Chamundaraya Award, A citation and Rs.20,000/- (Twenty Thousand). 1996
ii.Sahitya Academy Award, a citation and Rs.10,000/- (Ten Thousand) 1994.
iii.Janapada and Yakshagana Akademy Award 1995
iv.National award for the meritorious service in the field of Child Literature, New Delhi, 1990.
v.Kavyananada Award, a citation and Rs.7,500, (Rupees Seven Thousand Five Hundred) 1997
vi.Cash award for 2 books from Sahitaya Academy.
vii.Cash award from Bangalore University for a Research works.
viii.A number of Gold Medals and cash prizes for Socio Literary activities and for Research Books.
ix. Honoured by the following Mathas Sringeri Pejavara, Chitradirga, Sirigera, Shravanbellagola, Gady, Hombuja, Murusaviramatha, Siddaganga
Dr. Hampa has also busied himself in a variety of social and educational institutions in as such as he has served in various administrative capacities as under :
(a) President, Kannada Sahitya Parishat for 7 years and 7 months 1978-86.
(b) General Secretary, Kannada Sahitya Parishat for 8 years 196-1974
- Director, Jain Research Institute, Bangalore for 3 years 1977-79
- Director, Directorate of Kannada and Culture Govt. of Karnataka, 1993
- Dean, Faculty of Arts; Member Senate & Academic Council.
- Chairman, Inter-University Prasaranga Publication Committee, Govt of Kanataka,1992
- President, Karnataka State Kannada Shorthand and Typewriters Association since 1984
- Organised 7 All India Conferences
- Working President, Janapara Sahitya Parishat (Regd)
- President, Rangachetana Cultural Organisation (Regd) (1988-1996)
- Staff Secretary : Govt college, Mandya (1960-61)
- Staff Secretary : Govt. Arts & Science College, Banglore (1967-68)
- Member, Consultative Committee for Jainology, Karnataka University, Dharwad India 1985-Present.
- Managing Trustee, Prakrit Jnanabharati Education Trust (1989-1992)
Dr. Hampas's commitment to literature and education is evident from the number of features he has published, which in jist are :
- More than 60 Books
- More than 100 Research Papers - published in professional journal and periodicals like Prabuddha Karnataka, Parishat Patrike, Kannada Nudi, Jeevana Sadhane, Karnataka Bharati etc and felicitatory and Commemorative volumes.
- Edited a number of Souvenirs.
- Editor: Jeevana, Sadhane, Parishat Patrike etc. (literary Journals)
e) Presented Paper at the 33rd International Congress of Asia and North African Studies Toronto (Canada) August 1990
- Presented Paper at the 35th International Congress of Asia and North African Studies at Budapest, Hungary in July 1997
- Presided over Literary session at St.Louis, U.S.A.
- Participated and presented Papers in a number of State-Level and All India Conferences, Seminars and Workshops at Bangalore, Mysore, Dharwar, Bombay, Madurai, Madras, Muzafarpur, Poona, Delhi etc.
- Delivered Lecturers at Toronto (Canada) London (U.K.), Chicago, Los Angles, Delaware and New York (U.S.A.)
- Delivered two endowment lectures, University of Madras, Madras 1990 and Bombay University Bombay 1995.
- Attended UGC Symposium of Grammatical Heritage of South Indian Languages Tirupati, 1985
- Delivered a number of Lectures, at various Universities and Colleges, including University of Poona, Bombay, Madurai, Udaipur etc
- Inaugurated a number of Conferences at Mysore, Hyderabad & Secunderabad etc
- Presided over a number of Sessions at different Conferences & Seminars
- Presented Paper at the First National Prakrit Conferences (1990, Banglore, and at the 2nd National Conference at Hyderabad) 1993
Still in the sphere of academics Dr. Hampa is a Member of the Board of Studies and Board of Examination :
1. Mysore University, Mysore
2. Karnataka University, Dharwar Examination
3. Gulbarga University, Gulbarga
4. Bombay University, Bombay
5. Madurai University, Madurai
6. Madras University, Madras
7. Kuvempu University, Shimoga
8. Mangalore University, Mangalore
9. Kannada University, Hampi
10. Bangalore University, Bangalore
11. Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Ananthpur(AP)
12. University of Agricultural Science, Bangalore
Dr. Hampa Nagrajaiah, Rtd. Professor (Bangalore University)
1079, 18th A Main, 5th Block,
Rajajainagar, Banglore 560 010.